Sunday 29 July 2012

Potting On

The numerous plants we bought at Tatton Park, combined with a number of other plants that have outgrown their pots, and lots of seedlings, conspired to require a potting up session.

The clematis, hydrangea, deschampias, and eryngium are all fine in their pots, but the heucherellas needed bigger pots, and most of the other grasses needed either bigger pots or topping up. I realise I forgot the fifteenth new plant in my Tatton round-up: we also bought a variegated reed grass, Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Overdam'.

The box I obtained from Witley Court needed bigger pots (very root-bound!), and looks much more sensible in 2l pots. A tray of angel hair stipa (S. tenuissima) that we sowed earlier in the year has done really well: nominally 40 seeds, but we've potted on over fifty little plants, which is great. (Far left in the photo.)

Newly potted-up plants (© Ian 2012)

Lastly, we potted up a few dozen lavender seedlings and cuttings (far right).

Domino appears to think he was important in this process, as he's guarding the plants in the photo. I'm not sure I'd agree, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment